Friday

Banana Ice Cream

I just had to share this recipe with everyone. My MIL Ingrid sent me a link for this recipe a few weeks ago. Caden loves bananas.. he eats at least one every day. She was dead on that this recipe would be a hit. I was a little skeptical of the concept, but it really does turn out just like they have shown. It is a delicious 100% healthy treat! You could even feed it to your 5 month old baby. It really only takes a few minutes to make, so give it a shot! I bet you'll like it just as much as Caden and I.


ONE INGREDIENT BANANA ICE CREAM

www.ourbestbites.com/2010/01/one-ingredient-ice-cream.html
{The following is copied directly from the actual recipe, so you can follow it here or click on the link to check it out on the website}

Bananas can tend to get a bitter taste to them after freezing and it's intensified if they're under-ripe So definitely use very ripe bananas for this. They shouldn't be brown-mushy-banana-bread-ripe, but ripe. I found the best ones to be like the ones below, where the outsides were spotty but the insides weren't brown yet at all. They were super sweet.

bananas

Try it with about 3 medium bananas. Slice or dice into small pieces (to make the blending part easier) and place in the freezer on a plate or cookie sheet.

Place frozen banana chunks into a food processor or blender (they will work the same).

frozen+bananas

Can you guess the next step? Ya, blend those babies up. Depending on the size of your food processor, the amount of bananas, and how frozen they are, you may have to stop it a few times and scrape and mush the mixture around. I've had to do that every time.

processing+banana+ice+cream-1

The first time I tried this I was concerned when my mixture never turned into anything resembling ice cream. It just looked like tiny little grains, much like couscous!

banana+ice+cream+blended

But all I had to do was grab a spatula and when I stirred them even the tiniest bit, ta-da!

finished+banana+ice+cream

Sure enough it was smooth, creamy, and looked just like ice cream!

Now looking like ice cream is one thing, but what about the taste and texture? I was very surprised to find that this stuff actually feels like ice cream in my mouth. It tastes like- let's be real here, bananas. But it's still quite delish. One of the great things you can do is add some mix-ins to the food processor along with bananas. Sure it won't make it "one" ingredient ice cream anymore, but it's sure yummy. I tried one batch with some cinnamon-sugar, one with a spoonful of peanut butter, and our personal favorite: a scoop of heaven. Er...I mean, Nutella.

It's really amazing how much frozen bananas can resemble ice cream.

banana+ice+cream

lara

No comments :