Thursday

hello therapeutic

Now, I know I'm not the only one out there that gets cold feet... am I right ladies? 

Several years ago, I think when I was 15..? A good friend of mine made me a microwavable corn pack for Christmas. Let me tell ya, this is one of the greatest/most used gifts I've ever received. I always had cold feet or hands {still do} so every night before I went to sleep I would warm up my corn pack to sleep with! Eventually I realized that one corn pack simply wasn't enough, I needed at least 2. So I begged my mom to make me another one. bliss. I had 2 to sleep with, one for my feet, one for my hands! Over the years I have used these countless times. They have been so good for aches and pains, headaches, cold feet, keeping a bottle warm... trust me, they're amazing.

Unfortunately the frequent use of these has resulted in thin, food crusted, dirty fabric. Not to mention... the fabric choice on these... well definitely not my first choice ;)

cornbag

Time for a makeover! I attended a craft show with my MIL about a month ago, and saw some of these corn packs, they were a lot cuter than the ones I had at home. They had cute fabric covers and an inside pouch filled with the corn. Brilliant idea. That way when the cover gets dirty: throw it in the washer! I find myself taking peoples ideas at craft shows more than buying them. This would be an easy idea to duplicate.

Supplies-

16 - 5"x 5" Squares of cute fabric {I just bought a package of pre cut squares, but you could get fabric and cut your own}
1/2 yard of fabric for the inner bag
Cutting Board
Scissors or Rotary Cutter
Sewing Machine
Bag of Whole Feed Corn {size depending on how full you want your corn pack}
Funnel
Velcro or Button {optional}


Corn stays warm for longer than any other filler, I've done my research and I've used other fillers. Nothing compares!

How to make it.

cornbag

THE COVER

1. Lay out the squares and decide on a pattern you like before you start sewing. 2 across and 4 up.

cornbag

2. Sew the squares together with a 1/4 in. seam.

3. Once front and back pieces are sewn, sew those together with a 1/4 in. seem as well. Sew around 3 sides leaving one short side for the opening.

cornbag

4. To finish the cover fold the opening down 1 1/4 in. pin, and sew.

cornbag

THE BAG

5. Cut 2 pieces at: 15 1/2" x 8"

6. With the right sides facing each other, sew around with a 1/4 in. seam leaving a 2 inch opening.

7. Turn the fabric right side out through the opening you left.

8. Sew around the outside edges of the fabric with a 1/8 or 1/4 in seam. DON'T SEW OVER THE 2" OPENING YET.

cornbag

9. Fill the bag with corn using the funnel

cornbag

you will probably end up with a rather large mess if you're 18 month old decides to help ;)

{ok, total side note.. does he have the cutest toes or what!?! I am in love with them!}

cornbag

10. Once the Gut is filled to your liking, fold in the opening and sew it closed {try to match the 1/8 or 1/4 in seam you already sewed around the outside of the gut}

VIOLA

Put the Bag inside the Cover and you're finished!

If you want, you can sew a piece of velcro in the cover opening to keep the gut inside. Or you could sew a button hole and a button to do the same. I just left mine open.

cornbag

how to use this therapeutic corn pack:

1. To Heat: Microwave for 2-4 min {depending on the amount of corn} It will retain heat for 1-3 hours.

2. To Chill: Place in a ziploc type bag and throw it in the freezer for 1 hour. It will stay cold for about 30 min.

These are great for stress, tension, muscle aches and pains. They make a great cold compression as well. But for me.. they serve their purpose best on my cold feet in bed ;)  

Any questions? Just ask!

lara

No comments :