Wednesday

Vitamin D

Is summer ever going to be here? This is a serious question.

You wouldn't believe it from the weather we've had today and yesterday, but it snowed on Monday.. and I'm not talking light snow for 15 min. I mean a real snow storm for 4 hours.. it resulted in broken tree branches and major accidents on the freeway. Come on, it's almost JUNE! I sure hope the warm weather is on it's way. Our pool is opening next Monday and I can't wait to spend my summer soaking up the sun and swimming in the pool!

We spent the day at my parent's house yesterday for Rachel's birthday. While we waited for all the kids to get home from school we decorated the house, made cupcakes and played outside. Caden loves the trampoline. He begged all Winter to go out and jump on it. Now that it is finally starting to warm up I have no problem letting him run wild in the back yard. We were in desperate need of some Vitamin D, so I stripped Caden down to a diaper and t-shirt and let him loose. We spent a good hour running around, playing lacrosse and jumping on the tramp. He loved playing ring-around-the-rosy on the tramp.. "and we all fall down" he would let go, fall and bounce right up! We has a great time, I can't wait to do that every day. I am so ready for this summer.

vitamin d

vitamin d

vitamin d

vitamin d

AND I finally got around to spray painting a few things for around the house. I love white.. can you tell?
vitamin d

{vitamin d}

I have been doing a bit of research on the importance of Vitamin D and also on Safe Sunscreen. I figured someone might be interested in this. I would highly recommend reading both of these short articles.

Here are a few key points I took away:

-Limited sun exposure several times a week is all you need to enjoy the wonderful benefits of Vitamin D, such as healthy bone density and growth and lower cancer risks.

-The application of sunscreen with an SPF factor of 8 reduces production of vitamin D by 95%

-The FDA does not protect us because they haven’t published safety standards for sunscreens. The Environmental Working Group has listed 150 toxic and cancer-causing chemicals in cosmetics, and many of them are in sunscreen. Some of them, including petroleum products, ironically enough, are linked to skin cancer!

-Don’t buy into “waterproof” formulas. First of all, dangerous chemicals are used in commercial sunscreens to cause a water barrier, and ALL sunscreens need to be re-applied every two hours. The high-SPF formulas have the highest levels of toxic ingredients.

-It is important to wear sunscreen if you are going to be in the sun for long periods of time. Just make sure the sunscreen you choose to use is made up of non-toxic ingredients.

-This is the sunscreen I will be using for Caden and Myself this summer.

larasig3

No comments :