Sunday

Girls Camp

oh, where to start...?

At the end of April I was called to a meeting with the bishopric. As I sat down with the first counselor, he said "we have big calling for you, and we are hoping you will accept".. oh the nerves ran high, what could it be? Relief Society Teacher? (i can't do this!) CTR 5 teacher? (not again!!!) When he said "We would like you to be the Ward Girls Camp Director" I felt like I was going to explode with excitement! I know I startled him half to death with my reaction. WHAT?!? REALLY??? he looked hesitant "It's ok if you feel it is too difficult of a calling...... we can always call someone else" WHAT!?! ARE YOU KIDDING!????? I WOULD LOVE TO BE OVER GIRLS CAMP!!!!!!!!! He started laughing immediately. I couldn't believe it. I love Young Womens, and I LOVE Girls Camp. After 2 1/2 short months of planning and preparation.. we headed to girls camp! I was nervous to see how girls camp would be run in this stake, I didn't know the campsite or the stake leaders, and I barely knew the girls I was taking with me. I ended up being the only leader that was able to stay at girls camp the entire week, so I knew I had to try my best to get to know the young women in our ward. Looking back now, I know that my calling was inspired. Being a part of girls camp and becoming a part of young womens has been a huge blessing for me.

First off, I love camping. I love nature. I love getting dirty. I love fishing, hiking, outdoor cooking. I love fires, I love roasting marshmallows. I love gazing at the stars. I love everything but the outhouse when it comes to camping. FORTUNATELY.. we didn't have to use an outhouse :) So you can imagine that my week at girls camp was bliss for me.

We did Tie-dye. Cute Crafts. Canoeing. Skits. Devotionals. Certification. Zip line. Firesides. Bathroom Cleaning Duty. Eating. Cooking. Games. We went on a "way too early" hike. Waking up at 4:45 a.m. after a night of non-stop rain to go on a hike.... maybe not the best way to start the day. The hike ended up being really fun though. It was hard, but fun. We were crazy girls all week long. We probably drove our priesthood leaders nuts. The whole time we were up there the girls kept telling me I didn't seem like a leader, I was more like one of them. And I felt like it. We had so much fun

girls camp 2010

Our last day we did a confidence course. Before we left we all painted our faces. The YCLs were pro at the cable walk. I think they got 10 girls across in 5 minutes without talking. It was impressive.

girls camp 2010

girls camp 2010

The second course just about gave me a heart attack. literally. I was screaming and running back and forth.. it was scary! All of the girls had to get over the top of this wall and onto the platform in 20 minutes. The first girl Karissa was able to pull herself up after 3 tries. I still have no idea how she got up there. She went from hanging, arms fully extended, to throwing herself over the wall. Then She pulled Amanda up and over.. BY THE BACK OF HER PANTS! What the heck Karissa.. You are like the hulk! Fortunately we had a cheerleader on the bottom who helped lift everyone. I'm glad someone had some experience. This course was not safe, but we got everyone up and over safely.

girls camp 2010

girls camp 2010

girls camp 2010

I love this girl. She reminds me so much of myself when I was a teenager. She turned 17 on our last day of camp. SO I appropriately painted he face with a huge 17! By the time we finished the wall course she was dripping sweat and paint!

girls camp 2010

girls camp 2010

I wore Taylor's sweats the whole time we were at camp. But I wasn't the only one sporting my man's clothes.

girls camp 2010

I totally regret not bringing my nice camera.. but I am pretty impressed at how well my little point and shoot did.

PICTURE TIME!

girls camp 2010

girls camp 2010

girls camp 2010

girls camp 2010

girls camp 2010

girls camp 2010

I love the fun at girls camp. But Even more I love the spiritual side to girls camp. There is something about being away from everything that helps me just get it. There are no distractions. The spirit was so strong at all of our firesides and devotionals. We heard so many great speakers, they told us incredible stories. I felt like so much of what was said was aimed directly at me. I know my Heavenly Father is so aware of my needs. I came away from camp with a heart so full. I love the gospel. I am so grateful to live in a place where I can be surrounded by it everywhere I go. There is nothing like it and the peace it brings to my life. The young womens program is so amazing. It is exactly where I need to be right now.

I love my calling!

larasig3

No comments :