Tuesday

Sweet Valentine

February 14th, the day of love. Also a day with every excuse to make sweet treats ;)

I was feeling super ambitious this Valentines Day and decided that I wanted to put my skills to the test. I am dying to be a pro "pretty sweets" maker. Cupcakes are so simple and always look so cute. Sugar cookies are delicious and can be decorated so many different ways. I want to learn. I need to practice. So Valentines Day was my day! Sunday morning I made some cupcakes for my cousin's homecoming. I just used a golden vanilla cake mix and whipped frosting from the store. I didn't have time for much else. I wanted to practice my swirling skills. I've never done this before on a cupcake and it always looks so pretty! Turns out, it's super easy. Start in the center, squeeze out a dollop and continue a swirl around the dollop to the outside of the cupcake. Easy. They turned out so adorable. I made some cute heart toppers the day before out of royal icing and let them dry overnight. They added the perfect touch to the cupcakes!

sweet valentine

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the beautiful sugar cookies we made before the homecoming. The few I had left over were the "not so perfect" and "a little overbaked" but you get the idea. My very talented cousin did a post on HowDoesShe with the instructions to make this adorable heart border. I had to try it out and any excuse to practice with royal icing is good enough for me. Royal icing is so much fun to use. My first attempt, well, let's just say it's not one I'd like to remember. This being my third attempt with this icing I'd say I'm becoming pro. Taylor and Caden love decorating with royal icing as well, I do all the work in getting it prepared [the hard part] and they enjoy piping it onto the cookies. How is that fair? I tried a new sugar cookie recipe for these and I do believe I have found our new family sugar cookie recipe. It is delicious, simple and helps the cookies hold their shape perfectly while they bake. I am seriously impressed. I also tried a new royal icing recipe and I think it turned out better than any other I've used. Find the delicious sugar cookie recipe here and the royal icing recipe here. There is a lot to learn about royal icing but with some practice, It can be a lot of fun!

sweet valentine

Caden was obsessed with the little sugar pearls and put them on every cookie he decorated. His cookies turned out so darling. The royal icing smooths out so beautifully, all his cookies looked like pro baby design. He was so proud of his creations :)

sweet valentine

Taylor and I had a little fun making special cookies. After seeing this as well on my cousin's post we had to try it. I knew Taylor would love it, and sure enough he did. His cookies were so over the top and hilarious. With a touch of edible glitter and some pearls these cookies turned out pretty darn cute. We had a great time laughing while we made them together.

sweet valentine

sweet valentine

Caden colored inside of a cookie cutter to make some cute little Valentines. He used every crayon in the box and they turned out so cute. He was very focused ;)

sweet valentine

sweet valentine

On love day itself we made a some heart shaped rice krispie treats. Caden was a little upset when I colored the marshmallows pink instead of blue. But he was more than happy to eat the rice krispie treat scraps regardless of the color ;)

sweet valentine

We had a very fun Valentines day filled with lots of love and sweets. And the 50 degree weather was the icing on the cake. 
Happy Valentines Day!

larasig3

No comments :