Friday

03.16.2012

Grandma turned 80 on the day after Valentines Day. My great grandma Alta was determine not to let her come on Valentines Day because she knew grandma would be a boy... and how horrible would it be for a boy to be born on Valentines Day? ;) I love my grandma. She is so funny, she has, in a way, taught me everything I know about being a mother, a cook, a seamstress. She is an incredible woman and I am so lucky to have her as my grandmother, and my kids are so lucky to have her as their great grandmother. They sure love her, Caden knows my grandparents as well as he knows my own parents. He can tell stories about them and knows them by name. We celebrated the big birthday at my Aunt and Uncles house in Henefer. They have a big house, great for big gatherings. We had dinner; ham, rolls, fruits, veggies and banana slush. If you haven't tried our families banana slush.. you should ;) It is is a family tradition we partake of at most every event. I was in charge of bringing cupcakes. Everyone loves these lemon raspberry cupcakes. My sister calls them raspberry lemonade cupcakes. I'll share the recipe below because I have had so many people ask me for it (thanks Nikki for the huge hit!). We had a big program after dinner in the basement. Each family did some sort of performance. Our family sang an altered version of "take me home, country roads" that my mom wrote and played on the guitar. Cort's family sang and did a fun little skit. Janeen's family did a totally amazing and hilarious synchronized swimming, all in swim suits, to olympic music, with Taylor and Mikayla holding a blue tarp. It was to die for. Jill's family put on a country song for us to all do a dance to. My grandpa gave my grandma a painting he had been working very hard on. It was of her up at moose lake with her walking stick and fishing rod. My grandpa is one of my biggest art influences.. you could say it runs in my blood ;). We played some seriously fun games after, we played the hat game and a spelling game. I could barely hear over the roar of laughter and yelling during the spelling game. Ultimately, I'm pretty sure my team won ;).. but I'm sure all the other groups would beg to differ. haha. We had such a great time. My mom made shirt's again for this big party. The shirts read "a life with out grandma?" and then that hilarious face below it... bahahaha. Mom you are brilliant! Caden slept over that night, but Taylor and I had to get home because he had work the next day. They had waffles in the morning, went bowling and came back for pizza and a movie. They had a great day as well. What can I say.. this family likes to party! We love you grandma, Happy 80th Birthday!

IMG_0121 copywr

IMG_0085 copywrIMG_0125 copywr

IMG_0093 copywr

IMG_0135 copywr

IMG_0139 copywrIMG_0129 copywr

IMG_0105 copywr

IMG_0095 copywr

Raspberry Lemonade Cupcakes:
make up plain old lemon cupcakes, I use the Betty Crocker super moist lemon cake mix

Raspberry Cream Cheese/Butter Cream frosting:
1 (8 oz.) package of cream cheese
1 cup butter
1 lb (1 bag) powdered sugar
1/2 large pkg raspberry jello powder

Using a hand mixer combine butter and cream cheese, add powdered sugar, then add the jello powder. You can add the jello powder to taste, but I usually end up adding about half a large package. Then set it in the fridge, to set up. It will be a little Crystal-y and not super stiff when you put it in the fridge, but it will set up. After a couple of hours fill a piping bag with frosting and pipe in a circle (starting in the center) onto the cupcakes. I use a Wilton M1 tip. Then top with fresh raspberries! yummy!

IMG_0146 copywr

Caden could play for hours in the cubby under their stairs making "pretend food" and taking orders at his cash register. I should get him one of these cause he is thrilled to use it every time we go up there!

IMG_0158 copywr

IMG_0179 copywr

IMG_0193 copywr
Missing in action: My Dad (sick) & Jake (mission)
IMG_0195 copywr

IMG_0199 copywr

lara

No comments :