Saturday

10.31.25

Halloween was a pretty exciting day. I woke up at the crack of dawn and drove down to the bus pickup for my first half marathon! It was cold that morning, but the nerves kept my heart pumping and I didn't get too chilled. I set a goal before the race to run it in under 2 hours and 10 minutes. I knew if I wanted to beat that time I would really have to pace and push myself, most of my long runs were averaging around 10:00 min miles. I would not meet my goal at that pace. When the race started I found the 2:10:00 pacer, I knew if I could stay ahead of her then I had a good chance of meeting my goal. Everyone gathered at the starting line and they blasted the song "Roar" by Katy Perry which happened to be one of my favorite songs to run to. Everyone started jumping up and down and screaming and then started running. It was pretty steep downhill the first 4 miles and I knew I needed to be careful because of my knees, so I stayed right with the 2:10:00 pacer and tried to run with the best form possible. Running downhill is really hard on your body. When we got to mile 4 my mom and siblings were there cheering for me! It was such a surprise and boosted my spirits. We got on the Provo canyon trail at that point and it was more familiar to me, it was warming up but the shade down the trail kept me cool. My family met up with me at several mile markers down the trail and sometimes would run with me for a little ways. I loved every second of their company. It was getting to be farther in the run and I was getting kind of tired, but I kept my pace. I really couldn't get ahead of the 2:10:00 pacer, it was hard to even keep up with them sometimes. They would stop at water and aid stations for longer, or walk through them, and that was when I could get ahead a little bit. Mile 10 or 11 was the last stop my family made in cheering for me. I knew once I got to mile 11 I could just put it all out there and go for it. I would only have 2.1 miles left. When I saw mile marker 12 I felt like I could do anything, It was the farthest I had ever run. They set up a fun blow up tunnel with Halloween decorations that we had to run through after mile 12. When I only had half a mile left there was a hill I had to climb. Feeling all invincible I kept running up hill, traffic was so bad as it was blocked off from one of the lanes, and most of the runners were walking up the hill. I weaved in and out up the hill until it hit me. I just couldn't run anymore. My energy was gone. I thought about my Grandpa's letter to my mom, when he was going up the huge hill by the Veyo volcano (much worse than what I was doing) he kept thinking of the little engine "I think I can, I think I can...". I started telling myself "I think I can, I know I can!" and I speed walked up the rest of the hill, when the ground leveled out I started running again, slower than I would have liked. I wanted to sprint to the end but I just couldn't. I was far ahead of the 2:10:00 group and I knew I would beat my goal. When we rounded the corner and the street was lined with people and signs and cheering the adrenaline kicked in and my legs moved faster. I rounded another corner and saw the finish line. I knew my family was all there waiting for me, but I couldn't even look for them because my focus was so intent on that line. I did it! I felt disbelief and my legs felt foreign as I started walking through the crowd, like jello or something. I was so tired. I grabbed some water and a nutrition bar and started eating and drinking right away because that's what everyone says to do. I was supposed to keep walking too, but I wanted to see my family. I saw my brother Ben first and then Caden and Rachel. It was so exhilarating. I have the best support system in the whole world. I finished the race in 2:05:06 and I felt so proud of all my hard work.











On the drive home I started getting a migraine and by the time I got home I could barely see. I should have drank more water.. a lot more water. I crashed on my bed and took some medicine and slept it off. My legs hurt, especially my knees, but I wasn't about to let that spoil the night. We had basically everything ready to go before hand so we just gathered it all and left for my parents house. It was a fun night with family. I loved that all of my siblings dressed up. Haha! When we all get together it's like we are little kids again. The group pictures were killing me when I was looking through them. We went trick-or-treating around their neighborhood. Ainsley was in disbelief that she could walk up to a door and get candy. She went to every door. I love Halloween. It is such a fun holiday, at the perfect time of year.












lara

No comments :